This gluten free, soup recipe is a one pot wonder, the best type of all recipes. It is a perfect type of meal to throw into the freezer for easy, heat and eat, meals for busy weeknights. It also perfect for kids and adults for take-a-way lunches. Pair it with crudités and dip and you’ve got a simple and easy lunch for the whole family for the week! Take the time to make this on the weekend, and your busy-week day self will be patting you on the back with less time spent in the kitchen and more time spent with yourself and your family.
Health benefits of this soup:
- High in fiber: Beans and legumes are fiber rich foods that help to reduce to “bad”, LDL cholesterol, make you feel full and satisfied and may help with weight loss if this a goal. Beans and legumes should especially be a part of the diet if you have a gluten intolerance. The reason for this is many gluten free diets are low in fiber which can contribute to ongoing digestive issues.
- Source of B Vitamins: Individuals with celiac disease are often low in this department which can contribute to a myriad of symptoms/conditions such as low energy, memory problems, strange sensations, fertility problems, anemia, mood imbalances, and much more. Yams, black beans, and leafy greens in this recipe bump up the B vitamin content
- Source of Vitamin C: With the cold and flu season around the corner, we could all do with upping our Vitamin C to improve our immune health. Many of the foods in this soup are a source of vitamin C. The vitamin C in this soup will also help to absorb the iron found in the black beans!
Cajun Black Bean and Yam Soup: Serves 5, about 1.5 cups/serving
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 small carrot, chopped
- 2 tomato, fresh in season or frozen, whole
- 2 cups yams with skin on, chopped (about 1 medium size)
- 1 tablespoon gluten free chili powder
- 1 liter gluten free vegetable broth
- 13oz black beans (drained and rinsed if canned)
- 4 cups spinach/kale, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add in the onion, pepper, carrot. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, until the onion is translucent and veggies start to brown.
- Add in the tomato and yam. Salute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chili powder. Sauté for 1 minute
- Add in the vegetable broth and black beans. Boil and simmer for 30 minutes, lid on. Then take the lid off, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Immersion blend to desired texture. OR pour half of the soup mixture into a blender and blend. Return that to the pot. That gives it a nice creamy texture. OR, you can leave it all chunky if you prefer.
- Add in the kale/spinach, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- Top with avocado chunks, feta cheese, and additional cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!